Pages

Sunday 11 November 2012

8/100 The blacksmith's wife [12]



 
Elegant he’d never been, impersonating Thor, brute-muscled from daily shovelling of coal to stoke the fire, as he ever had stoked mine.  The river was in flood as was our passion;   as he thrust, the staining soot dissolved and I was physically cleansed but far from purified since I knew I could be made unfaithful, come what may.

As he divined.   

While yet entwined he grasped my hair, thumb heavy on my throat:  ‘I cannot force you, but be sure I’ll have you suffer.’ 

Sated smile:  ‘Like this?’

Whereupon, despite his traitorous, betraying prick, he pushed me under.






This is part 12 of 'The blacksmith's wife' which opens with her tied naked to a post in her husband's forge, he intent on branding her, having caught her with a younger, more beautiful lad.   The whole is a prompt-led serial  which began in March  and continued, one hundred words at a time, for forty-one episodes.   One of my aims in this 100 days project is to complete the illustrations for each episode and publish the tale in book form - comments would be appreciated.
The  story can be read in its entirety here.



No comments:

Post a Comment