Pages

Wednesday 14 November 2012

11/100 The blacksmith's wife [15]



Returned, his brother’s quizzical amusement at seeing me in his good cambric shirt lessened at Gabriel’s comment on the contents of his saddlebags.
‘T’was not by saintly means a humble bargee came by such quantity of sovereigns!’
‘A third of it is yours, for shelter ... half for a turn at your delicious wife.’
‘She’s not for whoring ... and I’d not give you house room.’
‘Not bribery?   Then needs must be brute force.’ 
Seizing me, flat-siding a slender blade against my throat, he forced me to mount, climbed up behind, reins one-handed, spurring us away, leaving Gabriel near incandescent.

This is part 15 of 'The blacksmith's wife'   The whole is a prompt-led serial  which began over at Friday Prediction in March  and continued, one hundred words at a time, for forty-one episodes.   One of my aims in this 100 days project is to complete the illustrations for each episode and publish the tale in book form - comments would be appreciated.
The  story can be read in its entirety here


No comments:

Post a Comment